Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance

On Aug 4, 2004, at 17:00, Rob Lanphier wrote:

Brandon,

The process as it exists now is not at all unlike the IETF working group
process.  The main difference is that, while the debian-legal list
functions like an IETF working group list at first, there's not a clean
process for getting to closure.

There isn't really a process for getting closure because we realize that we have, in the past, certainly made mistakes; and we want to, if new arguments arise, revisit past decisions.

However, there is actually a formal procedure for accepting and challenging debian-legal decisions. debian-legal is actually an advisory body which advises the ftp-masters. The ftp-masters, delegated to do so by the DPL under the Debian Constitution, actually decide what may be in the archive, and in which section.

So, it is actually ftp-masters who decide if something is free. They just come here for advice.

There is also an appears procedure to override the ftp-masters' decisions; that procedure is spelled out in the Constitution. I just woke up, so don't quote me on this, but I think it takes a majority vote of the developers.

We've heard a long list of grievances with the RPSL 1.0, and it's
difficult to tease out which ones are showstoppers, and which ones are
"nice to haves".

If we (debian-legal) endeavored to do an analysis of the license, and post a clear summary, would that help?

*  License-incompatible forking.  Our business model is predicated on
dual-licensing of the source code. RPSL insures that we can continue to
reincorporate outside modifications into our dual-licensed codebase.

I'm not sure if requiring that is something -legal would consider a free license.

However, we certainly don't have a problem if you only accept patches which give you that permission. You mention below some other projects which do that; I'd like to add Best Practical (request-tracker) to the list as well, now.

*  Use, modification, or distribution by parties that wish to bring
patent lawsuits against us.

If you want this to be a defensive-only clause, I think we (-legal) are ok with that. We're generally less-ok with it when it would prohibit me from counter-suing if Real sued me first, or when it'd prohibit patent claims against parties other than Real.