Re: RPSL and DFSG-compliance

Thomas Maurer <tma@hispeed.ch> writes:

> Well, thanks to all repliers, unfortunately the useful answer to my
> question has missed. You're replies don't really help me, so if someone
> finds the time to give me a short answer what I should do, then I would
> be happy. Otherwise I rely on the statements of Rob Lanphier and put the
> helix stuff into main.

It's non-free, but appears distributable -- though more on that
later.  It claims to restrict use of the software, which is non-Free.
It restricts how lawsuits can happen between those bound by the
license, which is also non-Free.  And it requires that "externally
deployed" code be distributed -- so if I use it to set up some big
televisions showing data provided through this system, I have to
provide all my modifications despite the fact that nobody but me gets
to see the network -- just lots of people looking at the TVs.  That
isn't *clearly* non-free.  There are people here who will argue that
it is OK.  But there are a lot of people here who think that is non-free,
and have moderately compelling arguments.

Fortunately, from a rhetorical point of view, there are enough other
problems with this license that it is clearly non-free.

-Brian