Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

Raul Miller wrote:
> How does this sound:
>
>    Unnecessary Burden Test
>
>    The license shouldn't place special requirements on authors of changes.
>    Seemingly trivial requirements might require a month out of the
>    author's life, or more, in situations that are not rare enough, such
>    as extreme poverty or complying with the requirements of repressive
>    governments.  For free software, it's ok to require that changes be
>    licensed such that everyone can receive them -- requiring more than
>    that just creates problems.
>
> ?
>
> It seems to me that this covers all Desert Island and Dissident cases,
> and has the additional advantage of being obviously related to the DFSG
> (don't discriminate against persons or groups).  Also, I think it makes
> more sense than the both the Desert Island and Dissident tests.

This seems far too vague to me.  It is unclear what the difference
between a reasonable requirement and a "special requirement" is in this
test.

> [That said, perhaps there's even better ways to express this test.]

I certainly believe it is possible to improve on the wording of the
Desert Island and Dissident tests.  However, I don't think this test is
specific enough to do so; it could be applied to almost any requirement.

- Josh Triplett