Re: License of Debian-specific parts in packages, generally and in particular

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 09:55:47PM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> 1. Shouldn't we add a note to the Policy (or the Developer's Reference)
>    that there should be a license statement for the Debian-specific
>    parts in debian/copyright? I think we should, and it should be a
>    "must" directive post-sarge.

More to the point it should have been done, for any packages that
aren't trivial.

> 2. Should we encourage maintainers and contributors to assign the
>    copyright to SPI, as the x people did?

No, SPI is useless.

> 3. Is there any advice on whether to put the debian-specific part under
>    the same license as the upstream work, or whether this does not
>    matter?

That would depend on the license. MIT if unsure.

> 4. How should we proceed with old contributions? Especially if
>    maintainers have frequently changed, or complex patches from the BTS
>    have been applied, it might be hard to find out all the copyright
>    holders.

We can't even find all the current maintainers.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |