Re: DFSG#10 [was: Re: Draft Debian-legal summary of the LGPL]

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:20:56PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
> >    if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
> >       "This product includes software developed by the
> >        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
> >    Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
> >    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.
> >
> > Some discussion on this down in one of the other threads observed
> > that "may appear in the software itself" does clearly include
> > /usr/share/doc/foo/copyright, or wherever the license text is--it
> > doesn't say "in the binary itself".  So, if this interpretation is
> > valid, it's still an annoying verbatim requirement, but without
> > contamination issues.
>
> How does the ASF interpret the clause?

I don't know, but if you think this clause is ambiguous enough that
clarification from Apache is worthwhile, remember that they're not
the only ones that use this license, and their interpretation of it
is only meaningful for Apache.

--
Glenn Maynard