Re: Which license for a documentation?

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:16:07PM +0200, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> >> Isn't that what the fuss about the "obnoxious advertising clause" of
> >> the old BSD (and new XF86) licence is all about?
> >
> > No. That is almost, but not quite, entirely irrelevant to the issues
> > with those licenses.
>
> I thought the advertising clause was just about the only restriction
> in those licenses, the problem being that the GPL doesn't allow extra
> restrictions.

That's the "not quite" part. It's almost entirely irrelevant because
"advertising clause" is just the name for this clause, and has got
nothing to do with the reasons why it is a problem. I could call it
the "stupid invariant section clause", which would be about as
accurate, without changing anything significant about it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |