Re: You can't get a copy unless you accept the GPL [was: Re: libkrb53 - odd license term]

* Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> [040602 16:42]:
> If you want to *download* the sofware, then you'd better do it by the
> GPL's terms. "Downloading" implies that you are instructing some
> computer to make create a copy of the Work on your hard drive. Because
> computers, legally speaking, do not *do* anything by themselves, *you*
> are the one who are creating the copy on your hard drive. And creating
> a copy is smack in the middle of the copyright holder's legal
> monopoly.

If you log on some computer and make a copy there and transmit it to
you (like ssh'ing into a solaris box and copying /bin/true), this may be
true.

But normally someone set up a computer do make a copy and sent it to me,
if I request it. As when someone makes copies of a CD and sends them to
me, when I send him a postcard.

Now when I send a postcard somewhere, there those are scanned and when
they are a printout of the request-formular, the CD is burned, copied
the address field on an envelope and sends it out. Would I still be the
one copying in your understanding of the situation? what if the form
says: "might be processed without human intervention"?

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.