Re: Cheops-ng: DFSG free or non-free?

Scripsit "Wesley W. Terpstra" <terpstra@ito.tu-darmstadt.de>
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:27:20AM -0500, Joe Moore wrote:

> > If the package contains GPL'd code that is written by someone
> > other than the main copyright holder (Adtran), then the package
> > is undistributable.

> He includes adns (GPL) in the source tarball; so, that's that.

> This means that they themselves are not allowed to distribute the program
> too, correct? Since they are violating the terms of adns's copyright?

Yes. So it would probably make sense to conspire with the author of
adns to prod him gently with a large pole.

> > If the package contains only code copyrighted by Adtran (or at least, code
> > that is licensed under this strange GPL+advertising license), then the
> > actual license is not the GPL, but a new GPL-like (but GPL-incompatible)
> > license that includes this advertising clause as part of its terms and
> > conditions.

> > In [this case], the license info for the Debian package should reflect
> > that it is _not_ licensed under the GPL.

> Woah. That's crazy!

No - in fact, it's the most straightforward interpretation of the
author's statement.

> > Third, (and this is uncertain legal territory) the work is licensed under
> > the GPL, since the GPL explicitly delimits the "terms and
> > conditions" in its text, and the additional requirements in the
> > cited COPYING file are not legally binding, but are merely a request.

> I take it that this is insufficient grounds for inclusion in main?
> (Due to the uncertainty?)

Indeed. We've had our flamewars about whether what the author is
trying to do is inherently meaningless of just GPL-compatible; but I
don't think anyone has seriously proposed just to ignore the extra
condition. It would be very hard to uphold such an interpretation in
court, and it would be a disservice to our users to claim (implicitly,
by treating the software as free) that the should expect to be able
to.

--
Henning Makholm                         "This imposes the restriction on any
                                  procedure statement that the kind and type