Re: Proposed Apache license & patent/reciprocity issues

Sorry for the late reply, but I was a bit busy.

Anthony DeRobertis said on Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 03:13:59AM -0500,:

 >      1. Person A creates a work, and applies the GPL to it. You have a
 >         license to A's work. You may not have a copy, but you still have
 >         a license.
 >      2. Person B creates a derivative work of A's work. Under 2(b), he
 >         grants you a license to his changes.
 >      3. You violate GPL 4. Your license to both A's and B's works are
 >         revoked.
 >      4. Person C creates a derivative work of A's or B's work. You now
 >         have a license to C's changes.
 >      5. You still can't use A's or B's work.
 >
 > The only way to gain back your right to use the GPL'd work is to contact
 > all the copyright holders and ask for it.

I'm afraid this is not the way the GPL works.

The  law, as  it stands,does  not  give you  the right  to modify,  or
distribute a copyrighted work.  But, so long as your's is a legal copy
you are  free to exercise all  fair use rights available  to you under
the  law of copyright.

The non-free licenses take away even your fair use rights because what
you get  is a license, and  not a copy  itself.  You get the  fair use
rights when what  you have is a copy; when you  are _licensed_ a copy,
you  get precisely  what is  licensed  to you,  nothing more,  nothing
less. The GPL uses this  technique employed by proprietary licenses to
grant you  more rights  than what is  given by the  ordinary copyright
law.  GPL #5 takes care  of situations where you receive an infringing
copy.

You  can violate  the GPL  only  when you  try to  distribute a  work.
without   complying   with    its   terms.    (modification,   without
redistribution, does not  attract GPL) Even when you  violate the GPL,
you still can continue to use the work itself. That is a wonder of the
law  of  copyright,  not  the  GPL.   The  GPL  applies  ONLY  to  (a)
modifications,  (2)  distribution  /  copying,  and  (3)  distributing
extracts or modified copies. Therefore, you are mistaken in statements
4 and 5 above.

GPL 4 and 5 simply reminds you the effect of law and the provisions of
the GPL.

Again, people  receiving derivative works get rights  in entire works,
not a license to  the derivative works. So, #2 above is  a bit off the
mark.

Hope that clears things up.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,