Re: "Open Software License" and patent/reciprocity issues

On 2003-11-17 18:46:53 +0000 Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:

I think this one's non-free too. It's certainly absurdly overbearing.

I agree. Over-generalisation. Given that there seemed other problems, did any OSL-covered software get into main yet?

Reading past discussions, I see that Anthony DeRobertis waved his hands at this clause but didn't spell out this problem. Branden noted that he had not time then to list all his concerns over this licence.

Interestingly, Larry Rosen provides legal advice to OSI, who I think he disagrees with by producing this licence with its "patent nuke clause". ("The Open Source Initiative does not have a position on whether ideas can be owned, whether patents are good or bad" according to the OSI FAQ.)

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at