Re: [fielding@apache.org: Review of proposed Apache License, version 2.0]

On Nov 8, 2003, at 05:03, Brian M. Carlson wrote:

SUMMARY: Non-free for all three licenses.

===================================================================== == DO NOT PANIC! This is a draft for discussion purposes only. ==

How can you not panic? It's 48K of text!

            Copyright (C) 2003  The Apache Software Foundation.
         Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
         of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

Please, can we avoid this one this time?

   2. You. "You" or "Your" means an individual or legal entity
      exercising permissions granted by this License. By exercising any
      of the permissions granted to You in Sections 4 through 8 herein,
      You indicate Your acceptance of this License and all of its terms
      and conditions.

basically, this license only applies if I modify/copy/distribute. ok.

      B. A "Contribution" is the original version of the Work and any
      modification or addition to the Work that has been submitted for
      inclusion in the Work, where such modifications and/or additions
      to the Work originate from that particular Contributor, or from
      some entity acting on behalf of that Contributor.

      C. A Contribution is "submitted" when any form of electronic,
      verbal, or written communication is sent to the Licensor,
      including but not limited to communication on electronic mailing
      lists, source code control systems, and issue tracking systems
that are managed by, or on behalf of, the Licensor for the purpose
      of discussing and improving the Work, but excluding communication
that is conspicuously marked or otherwise designated in writing by
      the Contributor as "Not a Contribution."

      D. Any Contribution submitted by You to the Licensor shall be
      under the terms and conditions of this License, without any
      additional terms or conditions, unless You explicitly state
      otherwise in the submission.

This might actually work. Despite its broad appearance, it seems to just say (in FAR too many words), "if you send us contributions for inclusion in, e.g., Apache, we'll assume you gave them to us under this license unless you tell us otherwise."

   4. Contributor Grant of License. Subject to the terms and conditions
      of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You:

nitpick: because having just defined "contributors", we couldn't use it.

   5. Reciprocity. If You institute patent litigation against a
      Contributor with respect to a patent applicable to software

applicable to software in general, applicable to software in that specific suit, or applicable to this software?

The license seems to say the first one. Just about any patent is applicable to software in some way. For example, a patent on widgets would keep me from writing software that produces widgets. I can't see that being free.

I have a hard time seeing "to software in that specific suit" as free, either, though maybe I could be convinced.

I'm much more amicable to "applicable to this software", though.

      (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit), then any
      patent licenses granted by that Contributor to You under this
      License shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.

"this license" meaning "this license to Apache" or meaning "all software licensed under the Apache License"?

In addition, if You institute patent litigation against any entity
      (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging
      that the Work itself (excluding combinations of the Work with
      other software or hardware) infringes Your patent(s), then any
      patent licenses granted to You under this License for that Work
      shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.

Well, this makes it clear that "applicable to this software" is not the correct interpretation of the first half of this paragraph.

been excluded from the Derivative Work. If the Work includes a
          "NOTICE" file as part of its source code distribution, the
          Derivative Work must include a readable copy of the notices
          contained within that NOTICE file, excluding those notices
          that only pertain to portions of the Work that have been
          excluded from the Derivative Work, in at least one of the
          following places: within a NOTICE file distributed as part of
          the Derivative Work; within the source code or documentation,
          if provided along with the Derivative Work; or, within a
display generated by the Derivative Work, if and wherever such
          third-party notices normally appear.

If the NOTICES file can only include legally required things, like trademark notices, then this is fine. But there is nothing in the license that would prohibit me from adding my 315-page Ode to my Gerbil (who convinced me to work on Apache) to the NOTICES file, and demanding people distribute it.

So, I don't think that's free in general.

          You may add Your own
          notices alongside or as an addendum to the original NOTICE
          information. The contents of the NOTICE file are for
          informational purposes only and do not modify the terms and
          conditions of this License.

"informational purposes only"? Does that mean that I can't put trademark notices there, which are surely for more than informational reasons?

8. Redistribution with Additional Terms. You may choose to offer, and
      to charge a fee for, warranty, support, indemnity, or liability
      obligations and/or other rights consistent with the scope of the
      license granted herein ("Additional Terms"). However, You may do
      so only on Your own behalf and as Your sole responsibility, not
      on behalf of any other Contributor, and only if You agree to
      indemnify, defend, and hold every Contributor harmless for any
      liability incurred by, or claims asserted against, such
      Contributor by reason of any such Additional Terms.

ok

   9. Trademarks. Aside from reproduction of the information within the
      NOTICE file and references to the License itself, this License

What? The notice file is informational only, and does not modify the terms and conditions of this license. Or at least it didn't two paragraphs ago. This license fails the self-consistency check.

      does not grant permission to use the trademarks, trade names,
      service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as
      required for reasonable and customary "fair use" while describing
      the origin of the Work. Further information on guidelines for use
      of related marks and/or how to obtain permission for use of those
      marks may be found in the NOTICE file, if any is included with
      the Work.

This specifies some stuff that can go in the NOTICE file, but still doesn't stop "Ode to my Gerbil (who convinced me to work on Apache)"

                        END OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS

finally....

dang it, another?

      C. The Work may contain public class or interface declarations
      whose names begin with "java", "javax", "com.sun", or any
      recognized successors or replacements thereof (the "Restricted
      Name Space") that are restricted as per the Java Specification
Participation Agreement between Licensor and Sun Microsystems, Inc.

snipping things that look like above license.

      (d) You must do one of the following:

          (1) modify or remove all package, class, interface, field,
              and method declarations in the Derived Work such that no
              names within the Restricted Name Space remain in the
              Derived Work; or

clearly not a free option.

          (2) fully implement the Specifications, or later revisions of
those Specifications that are acknowledged by the Licensor
              as successors to the Specifications, without modifying,
              subsetting, supersetting, or otherwise extending the
Restricted Name Space or including any public or protected
              packages, classes, Java interfaces, fields, or methods
              within the Restricted Name Space other than those
              required/authorized by the Specifications being
              implemented, and pass the Technology Compatibility Kit
              (TCK) for those Specifications; or

clearly not a free option.

          (3) cause the Derived Work to be clearly and conspicuously
              labeled as "unfinished and subject to change",
              "alpha release", "beta release", or "for research
              purposes only", and clearly and conspicuously identify
              within the documentation and packaging of the Derived
              Work that it is not compliant with the Specifications.

and not a free option, either. You can ask me not to claim complains with the standards --- maybe even, when confusion is likely, to disclaim compliance with the standard, but you can't require me to label my derived work not of release quality.

not another...

                             Apache TCK License
                         Version 1.0, October 2003

snipping similar parts, again.

      (d) You must do one of the following:

          (1) remove from the Derived Work all tests that are specific
              to features of the Specification and all documentation
              describing the Specification and those specific tests; or

not a free option

          (2) cause the Derived Work to be clearly and conspicuously
              labeled as "not the official TCK for the Specification"
              and "for research purposes only", and clearly and
              conspicuously identify within the documentation and
              packaging of the Derived Work that it is not the official
              TCK for the Specification, and further that passing the
              tests in the Derived Work does not indicate that an
              implementation has passed the TCK for the Specification.

not a free option