Re: GPL flaw?

Mark Schreiber said on Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:15:33PM -0500,:

Hmm ... You sound a lot like the clueless lawyers for SCO.

 > His heirs refuse to  GPL-license the Fast List Interpreter package.
 > Thus, Fast Lisp Interpreter is not GPLed.

Not a problem.  If RMS released  it under the GPL license. Anybody who
received FLI from  RMS has a perpetual right under  the GPL.  OTOH, if
RMS never releast  FLI during his life time, what  exactly is the loss
to the community??

 > Perhaps  clause 6  should  specifically state  that license(s)  are
 > granted to all portions of  a Program released under the GPL.  This
 > would mean

Well, this will not help you in this case .... where the claim is that
because  portion X  which did  not belong  to us  was released  by us,
though the  entire was under the  GPL, now, we revoke  your license to
the whole. (That is what the SCO is saying, is it not??)

Well, in law, if *you* gave  me the whole, which contained parts which
did not  belong to you, (or  you did not  have rights to give  that to
me), *you* should (1) compensate me  for whatever loss I suffer (2) If
the tainted part is 'severable' from  the whole, I can continue, at MY
option, to use the remaining.

(1) is not  likely to  be enforced where  the transfer is  for gratis,
except in very rare circumstances. Both (1) and (2) are *not* parts of
the law of copyright; rather,  they derive from other branches of law,
like contracts.

 >  Perhaps I've misinterpreted the GPL,

Yes. And as SCO v. IBM shows, you are not the only one to do that.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,