Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:03:49 -0400
Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>       They may cause practical
>     > inconvenience for some kinds of uses, but no more than that.  The
>     > issue is basically the same as the issue of the preamble of the GPL.
>
>     Yes, they do.  They say "you may not use this technical material
>     unless you also do this unrelated non-technical thing".
>
> They say that if you redistribute modified versions the technical
> material, you must do so in certain ways.  That is a packaging
> requirement.  The GPL also contains packaging requirements: inclusion
> of the preamble, inclusion of copyright notices, etc.  The TeX
> license has a much more annoying packaging requirement.  Those are
> both licenses that Debian accepts, I believe.

Sorry for butting in on another thread here, but my last mail received
no response.

Recently you said you'd contact a lawyer with respect to section 2 of
the GFDL. If you've had the chance, would you mind sharing the lawyer's
conclusion with debian-legal? If you haven't had the chance, have you
any idea of a time frame?

Thanks.