Re: A possible GFDL compromise

    Not the same so far.  As I read it, you can have the text of the FDGL as

(Did you mean "can't"?  I think so.)

    a separate file in /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/copyright, it has to be
    included in the derived work itself.

I'm not sure whether your talking about the files as installed
in a machine, or a distributable package.

If you mean the distributable package, both the GFDL and the GPL
require a copy of the license to be in the package itself.

If you mean the files as installed, neither license prevents it from
being a symlink or hard link to a file present elsewhere in the file
system.

So I think there really is no difference.