Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:

> Sure, but we're generally not talking about sale or transfer of
> ownership in the context of free software licenses, because the
> license limits what you can do with your copy. That is, I often can't
> take my copy, modify it, and resell the binary to someone else like I
> could do with any other tangible copyrighted work.

Huh?  Free software licenses cannot restrict things which are not
already restricted by copyright.  In the case you describe, if you
really got rid of your copy, then what you did is ok (provided it was
actually something you could do with any other tangible copyrighted
work).