Re: {debian-legal} Packaging arc

Hallo,

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:11:21PM +0000, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> Probably a dumb question, but is there any chance of finding the original
> author and asking for him to relicense it?

I haven't tried yet (I'm going to) but I heard from others that there is no
original author anymore. Maybe the company who wrote arc exists no longer
and no employee of this company feels responsible for the code. There is an
email address in the Readme of a guy who have ported arc from DOS to
BSD. He also says "this program may be distributed freely so long as you
don't modify it in any way". Maybe he write this because the original
license say this. His comments in the code (in the Readme) are also more
than 10 years old so I think it could be difficult to find this guy, but
I'll try.

> programs with this type of restriction before. It would of course
> still not be free...

That's clear. It is (or was, if it's no longer possible to pay) a
shareware program.

--
Bye, K <http://www.ailis.de/~k/> (FidoNet: 2:240/2188.18)
[A735 47EC D87B 1F15 C1E9  53D3 AA03 6173 A723 E391]