Re: GPL preamble removal

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> If we're talking about use of the GNU GPL as such, the preamble may
> not be removed.  It is, in effect, a sort of invariant section for
> inclusion in all GPL-covered software.
>
> By contrast, you can make a modified license (which is not the GPL)
> using the terms and conditions of the GPL.  In that case, you would
> need to ask the FSF's permission if you do want to use our preamble or
> a modified version thereof.  But such a modified license is not the
> GPL; you cannot use it as the license in a GPL-covered program.
>
> These questions are both answered in the GPL FAQ, but apparently the
> answers are not entirely clear.  If someone can show me specific text
> and explain how it can be misunderstood, I can try to clarify it.

OK.  I have a copy of Emacs here, licensed to me under the GNU GPL2.
I have made some modifications to it, and updated the changelogs and
history notes.  I wish to give it to a friend.  Section 2b requires
that I distribute my new program, Sniffmacs, "under the terms of this
License," GPL2.  Can I give my friend Sniffmacs, together with the
"Terms and Conditions" section of the GPL, retitled as "Sniffen GPL"?

As far as I can tell, this meets the requirements for creating a new
license based on the GPL, and meets the requirements for distributing
GPL'd software.

Thanks for your time,
Brian

--