Re: Is the OSL DFSG free?

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:59:04AM +0200, Keith Dunwoody wrote:
> Glenn Maynard wrote:

> >>No, it does not. (It makes it impossible for propietary software authors
> >>to enrich their software with the copyleft software. But when this is
> >>discrimination, so is giving away free t-shirts, as there are people who
> >>do not like clothes).
> >

> >Sorry, but that didn't make any sense at all.  There's no relationship
> >between a license forbidding use of code in the endeavor of writing
> >proprietary software, and a person choosing not to accept something
> >because of personal preference.
> >

> I think this is the link:  Some people (software companies) prefer not to
> license their code under the GPL, therefore they reject using GPL'd code.
> Other people prefer to not wear clothes, therefore they reject free
> t-shirts.

I strongly advise you not investigate this too closely.

These two clauses in the DFSG really *are* ambiguous, and you are
expected to exercise understanding when applying them. Attempting to
find a brightline test will only result in lengthly circular
arguments; there isn't one.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |