Re: Freaky copyright laws [was: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free]

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:09:02PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 02:05:54AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > * Copyright requires the protected subject to be "original".
>
> I think that principle is unique to the U.S.; in fact, that's the whole
> *point* of this subthread!

I think it's not fundamental to copyright, and definitely not in the
Berne convention, but I think that nonetheless it is shared by other
countries too - at least in some form. The EU directive on computer
program copyright appears to be equivalent, if not exactly the same.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |