Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:40:38PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     >It's not just a continuation of the status quo that is taking place
>     >here.  The FSF has adopted an expansionist policy with respect to
>     >Invariant Sections.
>
> The choice of words in this text that you cited indicates a desire to
> cast the FSF's actions in a harsh light.  I think that the only such
> statements deserve is to point out that fact.

The FSF *has* added Invariant Sections to manuals that previously did
not have any, such as, as I have already pointed out and you as you
elided from your reply, the GDB Manual.  I do not undersand how
"expansion" is not an accurate description of that practice.  The
practice is deliberate and consistent, therefore it as least plausible
to characterize it as a "policy".  When one applies the adjectival form
of "expansion" to the noun "policy", one gets "expansionist policy".

If you wish to rebut the term on its denotational basis, I'd be
delighted to hear it.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from speculating as to what
you think my "desires" might be if you are not going to address the
substative point at issue.  That point being, that a mere preservation
of the pre-GNU FDL status quo is not what is in evidence from the FSF's
actions with respect to documentation.

If a mere preservation of the pre-GNU FDL status quo were all that the
FSF desired, it would not need to:
1) encourage others to use the GNU FDL;
2) draft a documentation license for use by others that had a facility
   for "Invariant Sections", for which there is no counterpart in the
   GNU GPL;
3) apply the GNU FDL to manuals that did not previously have invariant
   sections;
4) increase the amount of material identified as "invariant sections" in
   existing manuals.

The FSF has done all of the above.  There is more than a conservative
preservation of the status quo at work.  Therefore, arguments relying
upon how the FSF's recent actions are "not a change" and how it's been
using invariant sections in some of its manuals "since at least 15 years
ago" fail to adequately explain the new things the FSF is doing.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Intellectual property is neither
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      intellectual nor property.