Re: [RFC] Modification history as a source code

Dmitry Borodaenko <d.borodaenko@sam-solutions.net> wrote:
>  AD>>> I don't think its reasonable to expect me to keep track of every
>  AD>>> single change I've ever made;
>  DB>> Did you notice that I limit this to _published_ modifications?
>  AD> Sorry, I missed that. However, I've certainly sent various people
>  AD> random patches (is that published?);
>
> IANAL, but I think it only qualifies for distribution, not for
> publishing. Whoever chooses to claim copyright on the patch and publish
> it, should take responsibility for keeping track of it.

Incidentally, the distinction between "making a change" and
"distributing a change" is important, and I think that's the point DB
was trying to make.  It would seem extremely onerous if people had to
distribute source to everything they change on their own machine.

Lex