Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 02:47:58PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Objection #2: This definition would make it harder to produce free
> software using non-free tools.
>
> Answer: If your codebase is in a proprietary format and you work
> on this using proprietary tools, and you release binary and source
> in a non-proprietary format, then you are indeed in violation of
> the license.  Good.  The GPL contains one important limitation
> of what can be done with licensed code: No Distribution of Binaries
> Derived From This Without Providing Source.  Why does it have that
> prohibition?  In order to prevent private parties from taking
> possession of free code through an embrace-and-extend strategy.
> Your proprietary codebase gives you an advantage over the rest of
> the free software community: perhaps enough of an advantage that
> effectively people will be forced to pay you to make changes.  Aha!
> Do you plead that your contract with your tool vendor doesn't
> allow you to make your codebase available along with the tools
> for developing in it?  Too bad: you can't distribute.

I consider this to be an unreasonable restriction, and an inaccurate
interpretation of the GPL. For example, as you have described it, it
prohibits storing a GPLed application in a bitkeeper repository. Oops.

> The GPL is
> very clear about this.

No it isn't. It is, at best, murky; a good lawyer should have no
trouble getting a ruling the other way.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK