Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:10:16PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> >J.D. Hood wrote:
> >> On the other hand, if there is a set of different forms
> >> each of which is convertible into the others by means of
> >> freely available tools then any member of the set is as
> >> good as any other.
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> > What if the program is written using proprietary tools and formats,
> > and translated into commented, maintainable C/java for release?
>
> By hypothesis we have free tools that convert the C/java program
> into the proprietary format.  So if the proprietary is the format
> you want to use, simply convert it into that format.  You are
> happy.

You cannot modify reality to suit yourself in this fashion. Such tools
will generally not exist, in either proprietary or free versions.

In general, you are attempting to introduce a prejudice against
creating free software with non-free tools; I do not consider such a
restriction appropriate.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK