Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

Thomas Hood said:
> "Joe Moore" <joemoore@iegrec.org> wrote:
>> Finally, there is a very lossy conversion which must be Free,
>> and that is linguistic translation.
>
> Nope.  If you are distributing the binary with English UI then
> I don't want the source with the UI translated lossily into
> Romanian.

You've misinterpreted what I meant.  I'm not referring to the UI, I'm
referring to the source.

Take the following code (written by someone who only understands english):
   int number_of_people = 1;
   while ( number_of_people < full_room ) {
      add_person(conference_room);
      number_of_people++;
   }

and I make it useful for my french friend who doesn't speak english:
   int nombre_de_gens = 1;
   while ( nombre_de_gens < chambre_pleine ) {
      adjouter_gen(chambre);
      nombre_de_gens++;
   }

Now, my friend wants to make improvements, and distribute the results in the
"preferred form".  Is the preferred for english or french?  There is no
lossless transformation between them.

--Joe