Re: Proposed: Debian's Five Freedoms for Free Works

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 01:28:18PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The first question seems to be the more important one to this
> discussion, since being able to use/compile/edit the software is more
> fundamental than being able to redistribute it in modified form.

FWIW, I disagree with this prioritization.  While some of the
definitional freedoms may be dependent on others, none is less important
than another.

We do not have sufficient freedom if we are allowed to modify our
freely-licensed software DVD players to ignore region coding, not pass
the Macrovision signal, and skip FBI warnings commercials for other
products manufactured or sold by the same company that produced a DVD in
our posession, but forbidden from redistributing a "free" software DVD
player that has these features available.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle