Re: Proposed: Debian's Five Freedoms for Free Works

On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 20:10 US/Eastern, Andrew Suffield wrote:

I contemplated a few ways to rephrase it, but whenever I tried, I
found myself arriving back at the first sentence again[1]. As such, I
think it'd be best to remove the second one outright; the freedom is
already adequetely described by the first. *Any* form which allows you
to modify the work for any purpose, is good enough.

No it isn't. Otherwise compiled object code would be good enough. Or the output of dvips. Both can certainly be modified (done it myself), but a work under the MIT X11 license that comes in binary form only isn't free, IMO (unless it was hand-coded in a hex editor...)