Re: Proposed: Debian's Five Freedoms for Free Works

* Jeremy Hankins (nowan@nowan.org) wrote:
> Having to include a changelog entry describing my modifications and
> (at minimum) that the original author didn't make the change is quite
> a bit different from simply giving some code to a friend w/o telling
> whether I even modified the code.  One is giving a minimal amount of
> information to a single person I may trust, the other gives quite a
> bit more info to anyone who ultimately receives a copy of the code.
>
> Neither is really what I'd call a serious invasion of privacy, but
> it's a matter of degree, not kind.

I don't really think it's relevant to privacy at all - you're putting
something out, and there are requirements an what you must distribute
with it. you could quite easily fake the changelog, make it up
afterwards etc.

after all, the difference is fairly trivial - running 'diff' provides a
minimal changelog - it's more a question of politeness, letting people
know what/why/how has been altered.

iain

--
wh33, y1p33 3tc.

"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly owned if it is
not shared." -St. Augustine