Re: License of Emacs modes

En réponse à Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>:

> Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> wrote:
>
> >   Since Emacsen are GPL-licensed, do Emacs modes have to be shipped
> >   under a GPL-compatible license?
>
> Pretty much.  It is possible to write stand-alone elisp code that only
> uses Emacs internals.  At that point you are okay, treating Emacs has
> an
> interpreter only (so the code it interprets doesn't have to be under a
> GPL-compatible license).  But as soon as you load an Emacs lisp

Err, I thought the license of interpreted programs had to be
compatible with the license of interpreters (I recall the Python
licensing problems, before Python 2.1). Did I misunderstand?

> library
> and use it, then you'll using a GPL'ed library (as opposed to an
> LGPL'ed
> one) and your code must be GPL-compatible (if you distribute it of
> course).

Ah, you mean that there is only a problem when an elisp code loads
some elisp libraries ?

> >                                   I discovered one of them which
> >   could be problematic.
>
> Is it ilisp?

No, erlang-mode, which is licensed under EPL.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome@marant.org>
              <jerome.marant@free.fr>