Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

My understanding is that the FSF requires copyright assignments in
order to give themselves the ability to most effectively defend the
community against poachers and legal attacks.  It would be a drastic
misunderstanding to think they do it in order to give themselves an
ability to share that they'd deny to others.  The FSF's fundemental
value is to give everyone the ability to share, even (or perhaps
especially) in the absence of copyright assignments.

> ... the FSF will never have a problem, because it demands copyright
> assignments for all contributions.

Although this might be true it is irrelevant, as given copyright
assignments they would not have a problem even if they used a
proprietary license.

Furthermore, since assignments are just a matter of expedience, under
appropriate circumstances the FSF might well incorporate materials
without an assignment.  That would be their call, but I cannot imagine
it is something they'd want to rule out unconditionally.

If the GFDL is impeding sharing, there is one thing we can be
confident of: that the problem was not anticipated when the GFDL was
drafted.