Re: Outcome of PHPNuke discussion

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 02:06:38PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Glenn Maynard wrote:
> > On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:33:33PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > I'm sorry, but I'm totally lost in the discussion.  Do we (=Debian)
> > > buy the statement from the FSF that the copyright notice at the
> > > bottom of any phpnuke-generated page must not be removed and that
> > > this is not a new restriction to the GPL?

> > Was there such a statement, and are we sure it meant exactly this and
> > wasn't being interpreted?  (I seem to recall reading an interpretation
> > of a statement that I didn't buy, but it was too long ago for me to
> > remember clearly.)

> I found this one:

> http://phpnuke.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=49

> says:

>  "I think a web-based message board clearly reads commands
>   interactively.  So, if there is such a notice, you can't remove it. But
>   you could alter its form, so long as it is still appropriate."

> I guess this case is difficult, since you could interpret each php
> file as a program of its own, as well as the entire system as a
> program as a whole.

The consensus was that, if you regard each php file as a program of its
own, it fails the interactivity requirement; and that if you regard a
web session as a single execution of the "program", you don't get to
require a copyright notice on *every* page -- just on the home page.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer