Re: Removal of non-free

Bernhard R. Link <blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> [...] Free software sadly
> needs some time to fit in al the niches, as much too few institutions
> have adopted it, and good code just needs time.

Maybe, but giving a supported distribution system for it removes some
of the desire, doesn't it?

>  [...] Do you really think even the thread of
>  removing would be realistic? ) [...]

Yes.

> And the point about things in main before is really important. With
> enough exceptions made for things that had nicer licences earlier or
> which badness was not prior found, it'd get much harder to avoid
> non-free things slipping in in main directly.

I do not advocate making exceptions for main, so please do not raise
that.  If non-free things are uploaded to main, surely that's a bug?

>> is fairly minimal (set up a BTS, apt repository - what else?).
> webpages, autobuilders, account managment, keyrings, ....

Web?  When did an apt source have a web page?
Autobuilders?  Are pbuilder et al so hard?
Account management?  wtf?
Keyrings?  Can't we use the same one.

> I'm quite sure that situation for non-free stuff will get better, if
> non-free is thrown out of debian....

I don't see why.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."