Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

 --- "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <tb@becket.net> からのメッセ
ージ:
> Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl>
> writes:
>
> > This approach means that authors will be forced to
> accept
> > any kind of modifications, even those that
> directly go against
> > their artistic wishes. The US system thinks this
> is OK since
> > you got paid. The European system thinks this is
> not OK.
>
> *Forced*?  Forced exactly *how*?  At gunpoint?  In
> the US, and in
> Europe, a contract extracted at gunpoint is not
> valid.

> If the European public really thinks that these
> rights are important,
> then why would they be reluctant to sign contracts
> in which those
> rights are preserved to the artist?

Note US Courts choose not to enforce or allow voiding of
some contracts, as well.

There are considerations that as a matter of public policy
end up in exception lists.  We care about protecting
gamblers; they care about their artists. :)

Also sometimers there are are economic arguments proferred
to support limitations, eg. Valuing and transacting for an
Artist's "integrity" or other interests in a work pose
high transaction costs, or suffer from Artists valuation
problems.

--
James Miller
jamiller@yahoo.co.jp