Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> [...]  We also
> disagree about Debian's practice of distributing and recommending
> non-free software.

I'm sorry, but can you justify this statement, please?  For part of
Debian to recommend non-free software is a breach of policy, which
says that Debian packages:--
  must not declare a "Depends", "Recommends", or "Build-Depends"
  relationship on a non-main package,
  (from http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-pkgcopyright)

"main packages" are the only things that are part of Debian.  If Debian
has Recommends for a non-free software, then it is a bug and must be
corrected.

As to the Debian infrastructure being used to distribute non-free
software, I sympathise and hope that will be changed eventually. I would
not be effective if I tried to do so now.

Regardless, this is unrelated to FDL, except that some FDL works will
probably be using that same infrastructure for distributing non-free
software, unless something changes.

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: slef@jabber.at
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.