Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 08:21:18PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:
>
> > In the US, I could mutilate your work, but I couldn't pass it off as
> > yours (that would be misrepresentation, possibly fraud).  If you were
> > alive, I couldn't distort it to give you a bad reputation: that
> > would be libel or slander, depending.  (Dead people have no
> > right to defend their reputations in the US.)
>
> I think I've figured out what's really going on with Duchamp.
>
> The French think Duchamp can "mutilate" the Mona Lisa because he's
> French, and Da Vinci is Italian.

Hey, wait, I thought only the Americans, British, and Germans were
nationalistic chauvinists.

/me coughs while people forget the etymology of "chauvinism"

--
G. Branden Robinson                |          You live and learn.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |          Or you don't live long.