Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

>> Does this "clear" implication extend to documentation  released
>> under a Free licence?  Does this "clear" implication extend to
>> literary, visual arts, or audio works released under a Free license?
>
> I'd say yes, *if* the author *voluntarily* made the software free.

Your emphasis is disturbing:  does the exchange of licenses involved
in distributing GPL'd software derivative of other GPL'd software
count as voluntary throughout Europe?  That is, is Freedom to Modify
and Distribute an essential part of the artistic character of MySQL,
XEmacs, and other works which the authors would rather have
proprietary, but which they can't distribute except under the GPL?

Thanks for taking the time to explain this system to the Common Law
folks here.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu