Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> wrote:
> > People will think you made the silly modifications, and so
> > your reputation is harmed. I am not required by law to say
> > I modified the work if I bought the copyright from you.
>
> Okay.  But in the case of free software, the author _still_ does hold
> the copyright.  So the silly derived works must be marked as modified
> (following the license).  What extra protection is required?

I think this is a pretty good argument, actually. Because the
license requires me to identify myself and my changes, the
public will know that the silly bits originated with me and
are not your doing. So my modifications cannot harm your
reputation.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself