Re: Questioning the Public Domain'ness of certain data

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 01:19:16AM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>
> > Sec. 105. - Subject matter of copyright: United States Government works
>
> > Copyright protection under this title is not available for any work of
> > the United States Government, but the United States Government is not
> > precluded from receiving and holding copyrights transferred to it by
> > assignment, bequest, or otherwise.
>
> Does that also prevent the U.S. government from claiming copyright
> protection (as a civil party) on their work in other jurisdictions?
> "This title" seems to refer to situations where the copyright
> protection would be granted by U.S. law.

I *guess* that the answer to your question is "yes", until and unless
Congress passes a law amending Title 17, or placing a law into a
different Title, asserting copyright protection for the U.S. government
in foreign jurisdictions.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Human beings rarely imagine a god
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     that behaves any better than a