Re: Proposed statement wrt GNU FDL

On Thu, 08 May 2003, Anthony Towns wrote:
> As far as I know, we're happy to accept non-free stuff in pristine
> .orig.tar.gz's as long as it's not used.

I'd actually expect apt-get source foo to return sources that are DFSG
free, when foo is in main or contrib.

Granted, you should be checking the licenses of any source that you
use before you use it, but I would assume many of us expect all of the
software and sources in main to be free under the DFSG.

> If you don't have a pristine .orig.tar.gz anyway, then it's silly to
> include unused non-free stuff, but it's not cause for a REJECT.

But it seems strange (to me anyway) that an ftp-master would be
finding this out in a situation where a maintainer didn't already know
about it. Either someone didn't look over the code and licenses when
they were packaging, didn't examine the diff between versions, was
otherwise unaware of what they were uploading, or knew and didn't have
time to do anything abou it.

Don Armstrong

--
Miracles had become relative common-places since the advent of
entheogens; it now took very unusual circumstances to attract public

-- Bruce Sterling, _Holy Fire_ p228

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu