Re: LPPL and non-discrimination

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:52:46AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Didn't the QPL used to have this exact feature?
> It was considered free at the time, wasn't it?

The NPL (Netscape Public License; parts of Mozilla still use it) has
this feature.  Check out part V of the Additional Terms:

          V. Use of Modifications and Covered Code by Initial Developer.
               V.1. In General.
               The obligations of Section 3 apply to Netscape, except to
               the extent specified in this Amendment, Section V.2 and V.3.

               V.2. Other Products.
               Netscape may include Covered Code in products other than the
               Netscape's Branded Code which are released by Netscape
               during the two (2) years following the release date of the
               Original Code, without such additional products becoming
               subject to the terms of this License, and may license such
               additional products on different terms from those contained
               in this License.

               V.3. Alternative Licensing.
               Netscape may license the Source Code of Netscape's Branded
               Code, including Modifications incorporated therein, without
               such Netscape Branded Code becoming subject to the terms of
               this License, and may license such Netscape Branded Code on
               different terms from those contained in this License.

(The Section 3 referred to in V.1 is about distribution of modified
versions; it also contains the copyleft clauses.)

The NPL makes me want to add a "License must not be overly verbose"
clause to the DFSG...

Richard Braakman