Re: Legal questions about some GNU Emacs files

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 05:59:31PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> You might like to consider some of the other documents accompanying
> WHY-FREE, and their relevance to emacs or Debian.
>
> 	CENSORSHIP - 1996-03-01 criticism of the Communications Decency Act
> 	      of 1996-02, which was struck down on 1997-06-26.
> 	COOKIES - undated copy of a 1987 urban legend, debunked at, eg
> 	      http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/sleuth/sleuth3.htm
> 	JOKES - GNU jokes ("What is a hackers' favorite candy?" "Gnugat")
> 	LPF - 1994-02-03 exhortation to join the League for Programming
> 	      Freedom, which has been mostly defunct since 1995
> 	MACHINES - some remarks on how to build emacs on various systems
> 	celibacy.1, condom.1, sex.6
>
> Reflecting on the liklihood of something like, say, CENSORSHIP or LPF,
> being included as an invariant section in future GFDL documentation
> might be worthwhile.

It looks like RMS used to use the official GNU Emacs distribution in a
similar manner to the one in which he uses his personal webpage today.

  http://www.stallman.org/

I'll note that I find myself in sympathy with much of the material on
that webpage.  I just don't think most of it's germane to software
distribution, and I do not think it is -- neighborly -- to attach
unremovable, unmodifiable activist literature to software distributions
and call the product "free as in freedom".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Please do not look directly into