Re: Legal questions about some GNU Emacs files

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 06:23:05PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Unfortunatly, it is because of the tolling rants of developers like you
> that we cannot seem to get a consensus anymore. And we seemed *so* close
> to a consensus on the FDL, and actually doing something too..

Don't despair.  I personally tend to lend developers credibility in
proportion to their contributions to the Project.  Mr. Romosan has made
2 package uploads in the past 8+ months, neither of them for
anything approaching crucial infrastructural software, and neither of
which consisted of changes that, judging by the Debian changelog,
couldn't have been done by just about one familiar with the NMU process.

Part of leadership is tackling the problematic issues and making the
tough decisions.  It sounds to me like most of the leaders of the
"debian-legal" unofficial sub-project remain very close to consensus.

Now, it might be the case that the "leaders of the debian-legal
community" aren't very representative of the ideology of the masses of
Debian developers.  If we find that is the case, then we'll be no worse
off than if Mr. Romosan managed to derail our deliberations, and the
"masses" may learn that they need to interest themselves in boring legal
issues, and participate in this mailing list, which is not closed to
anyone.

Mr. Romosan appears more interested in contributing noise than signal.
Any consensus as fragile as the one you're afraid we had, isn't worth
having.  Let's keep moving.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The last Christian died on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       cross.