Re: Legal questions about some GNU Emacs files

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 03:42:24PM -0700, Alex Romosan wrote:
> what's weird is people applying the free-software concept to things
> other than software.

I don't see what's weird about it.

  # Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software

  We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
  software. As there are many definitions of free software, we include the
  guidelines we use to determine if software is "free" below. We will
  support our users who develop and run non-free software on Debian, but
  we will never make the system depend on an item of non-free software.[1]

If there are things in the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution that are not
free, or are not software, then we are diluting the "100%" proportion of
our distribution that is supposed to be Free Software, and we should
remove it.

Alternatively, we can treat as much as we possibly can in the Debian
GNU/Linux Distribution as software for the purpose of determining its
freedom.

As an other alternative, we can develop a complex classification scheme
for creative works, which distinguish "software" and "documentation"
"documentation" from "manifestos", and so forth; determine whether
"freedom" is even relevant for any or all classes of creative works; if
so, develop a schema for what "freedom" means for each class of creative
works, and finally justify all this as a reasonable, obvious, and
straightforward application of the Debian Social Contract.

As yet another alternative, we can propose and vote on a General
Resolution to repeal or amend the Debian Social Contract, so that we can
do whatever we want.

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract

--
G. Branden Robinson                |          Measure with micrometer,
Debian GNU/Linux                   |          mark with chalk,