Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software? (Was: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

Mark Rafn wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

But it is not a real problem. Under the "droit d'auteur", the author's
right over *software* is quite limited

Is this the basic point by which "moral rights" do not prevent software
from being free?  They're not generally applied to software?

That would make sense. :-) Thanks to Stephane for informing me of this point....

If recognition of moral rights is a requirement for a free documentation license, I propose the GPL be used with the notation that "none of these terms is intended to infringe those rights over which an author cannot grant permissions".

Is this sufficient to cover droit d'auteur jurisdictions without limiting the right to modify in common-law areas?
This seems wise...

Changing the subject again, it might be nice if Debian put up a FAQ on "free licencing issues for non-software", just to catch all of this stuff in one place...