Re: Knoppix and GPL

Hello everyone,

I think it is time for me to unsubscribe from this list, since the
discussion went into personal interpretations/opinions/beliefs about
the "right" way to interpret the GPL, rather than bringing new
insights.

As a summary, I hope the fact has been made clear that a written
(and, with the checksum of the entire CD, digitally signed) offer
to provide the sources to anyone, valid for 3 years, is present
on each Knoppix CD. This is surely not a perfect technical solution
in the digital age, but sufficient (in my eyes) for complying with
the current GPL.

If there is anything more to discuss, about a certain way to interpret
the GPL or whether or not free software should be distributed at all and
by whom and to whom, I would suggest asking the poeple who created the
license, know its intention and enforce its compliance, which
would be the Free Software Foundation. I am in contact with the FSF
and got the impression that they are way more cool about most things
than some people on this list are. ;-)

Anyways, thanks for a worthwile discussion, and let's hope that
free software developers don't get put off by too many legalese
issues in the future. If software patents are established in europe,
for example, we will have an entirely new dimension of problems,
but that is a different topic.

With kind regards
-Klaus Knopper