Re: Proposed statement wrt GNU FDL

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 05:47:35PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> In particular: for emacs21, ``with the Invariant Sections being "The
> GNU Manifesto", "Distribution" and "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE"'', and
> for gdb ``with the Invariant Sections being "A Sample GDB Session" and
> "Free Software"'' and ``with the Invariant Sections being "Stabs Types"
> and "Stabs Sections"''

While in general I must say that I agree with Branden on this issue, I'm not
yet completely convinced, and one reason was brought home to me by the
above: I large majority of our software ships with the file COPYING, which
states "changing it is not allowed".  Combined with the requirement in
section 1 that the GPL be given to any recipients of the program, this
strikes me as similar to the invariant section.  It leaves me wondering if
we are being a bit hyopcritical about it.

At the same time, I see no value in making cover sections, etc. of manuals
invariant.

Any thoughts on that?