Re: LPPL, take 2

Walter Landry writes:
 > Frank Mittelbach <frank.mittelbach@latex-project.org> wrote:
 > > Note that above we also addressed the concern by (I think Walter)
 > > concerning 5a2 so that it now only requires run-time identification
 > > if the original used runtime identification
 >
 > Thank you.  It is extremely close.  It doesn't quite allow me to take
 > out parts of the program and use it in "grep" if the original program
 > identified itself originally.

yes it does. because if you use parts of the original work as part of
something else you would do so under 5a1 so 2 would be not required at all.
remember 5a are alternatives.

 > A possible rewording:
 >
 >   2. If the Derived Work identifies itself to the user when run then
 >      it must clearly identify itself as a modified version of the
 >      original Work to the user when run.

wouldn't serve the purpose. The purpose is to inform the user that he is not
getting the original (which is the normal expectation). if the derived work
could decide whether or not to give this information this would be pointless

frank