Re: LPPL, take 2

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:14:55PM +0200, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> 5.  If you are not the Current Maintainer of The Work, you may modify
> your copy of The Work, thus creating a Derived Work based on The Work,
> as long as the following conditions are met:

Please make restrictions attach to distributions of modification, not
the act of modifying in and of itself.

(Yes, I bitch at the FSF regarding exactly the same point, so I'm not
singling you out. :) )

E.g.

5.  If you are not the Current Maintainer of The Work, you may modify
your copy of The Work, thus creating a Derived Work based on The Work.
You may distribute your Derived Work to whomever you choose as long as
the following conditions are met:

>   a. You must ensure that each modified file of the Derived Work is
>      clearly distinguished from the original file. This must be
>      achieved by causing each such modified file to carry prominent
>      notices detailing the nature of the changes,

Are you gravely opposed to external changelogs, as might be generated
by, say, cvs2cl -- even if those changelogs have to be distributed along
with the modified files of the Derived Work?

>   c. In every file of the Derived Work you must ensure that any
>      addresses for the reporting of errors do not refer to the Current
>      Maintainer's addresses in any way.

This is somewhat new ground for a DFSG-free license.  Is it *really*
that important?  If so, I'd like to hear advocates of it explain why
it's more free than, say, a prohibition against the creator of a Derived
Work calling the Current Maintainer on the phone to ask for technical
support.

Note that I'm not passionately opposed to 5c); I just want to understand
how tolerating it fits into our philosophical schema.  I'm in too much
of a hurry to spend deep thought on it right now, but I imagine we might
be able to tie it into "endorsements" theory, which can already be used
to justify clause 3 of the 3-clause BSD license, and parts of the Apache
license.  I think we should have a good grasp of why 5c) is acceptable,
so that it doesn't become a camel's nose for someone else's license.

I realize I'm a nitpicky guy, but overall I think the LaTeX and Debian
communities have worked together fantastically well on this issue and
I'd like to express my thanks to everyone who has participated.  I had
some pessimism about this subject a few months ago but that has almost
completely evaporated.  I especially appreciate the patience of Frank
Mittelbach and others from the LaTeX Project team.  I know this stuff is
tedious and not very fun.  Debian doesn't sweat these details to be
sadistic.  We're just paranoid[1].  :)

[1] Well, I am, anyway.  I guess I can't necessarily speak for anyone
else.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Ignorantia judicis est calamitas