Re: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the F DL

Georg C. F. Greve <greve@gnu.org> wrote:

>  || Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:

>  br> Your analysis ignores the fact that the GNU FDL does not permit
>  br> Invariant Sections to be omitted entirely from the work when it
>  br> is redistributed.  If the GNU FDL did that, it would take a giant
>  br> step towards DFSG-freeness.
>
> B. Or do you mean it doesn't allow cutting out sections that the
>
> Interpretation B -- which you probably meant -- is already included in
> the analysis, as cutting out parts is also modification.

If I write a GUI front-end for some software which has documentation
under this license, can I take a few paragraphs of the documentation
to use under my "help" menu without including invariant sections?

If not, then that's very onerous.  I might need to include 2 pages of
unrelated stuff to get my help menu text.

Oh wait, my GUI front-end is GNU Emacs, which is GPL'ed.  This license
is not GPL-compatible so I can't merge the documentation, can I?

Peter