Re: the FSF's definition of Free Software and its value for Debian

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:03:02PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > No, you could have broken into my computer and taken it.
>
> Oh. Somewhat far out, I think. But nevertheless...

Then it should be harmless enough to ensure that the license can't be
interpreted this way.

> > But I don't think the GNU GPL needs to worry about "authorized
> > recipients" versus "unauthorized recipients".
>
> I don't think it does. I think it is counterintuitive to read the
> "directly or indirectly" as a restrictive phrasing. On the contrary,
> it is meant to be inclusive, pointing out explicitly that the rights
> granted can *not* be restricted to *direct* recipients only.

I don't see what's unclear, ambiguous, or inefficient about saying "the
recipient and all third parties".

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he