Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 13:50, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > The modified software can be modified by the recipient only if he
> > tellss the public at large.  This is the same condition.
>
> So you are now saying that the license imposes a restriction on
> modification even if I don't distribute anything at all?  That makes
> it beyond the power of copyright law at all, it seems to me.

Let me point you to the plain language of 17 USC?  I am quoting for you
the relevant section of 106:

"(2)  to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;"

Note that it does not say:

"(2)  to dsitribute derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;"

My only consolation in this farce is that Nelson is equally wrong when
he replies to you claiming the GPL is a contract.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson